Recipe Index

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Pumpkin Roll Cake

I still have some stock of pumpkin. I bought them a couple of weeks ago because I wanted to make soup and pumpkin based cake. However, because of the usual new priority around the house and with the children activities and demands, I had to cancel my plan several times.

Last weekend, I pushed myself to try pumpkin roll cake recipe. After searching and comparing some recipes, I combined some recipes and end up with the final recipe I used in this posting. If you are a fan of Swiss roll cake, please be warned that this roll cake is not the soft type like the Swiss roll. This one is more similar to carrot cake texture. That is why, the cake should be made thin, to avoid the cake to break.

For the recipe below, I used 2 Lapis Surabaya pans, size 26 cm x 26 cm. The result is optimal. Since you will get two thin cakes, which will yield smaller roll cakes. The small serving portion is, in my opinion, a good balance to the "heaviness" of the cake.

I did not expect my children will love this cake, but they do love it. Each of them can finish 3 thin slices of the roll tart for dessert. I think this is a nice variation to the carrot cake that I always made a few years ago.

Ingredients
100 gr butter - soft, room temperature
200 gr sugar
3 eggs
100 gr cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
200 gr pumpkin puree
1 tbsp pumpkin spice or   (1/2 tsp ground cinnamon + 1/8 tsp ground cloves + 1/4 tsp ground ginger + 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg)

For the filling
185 gr cream cheese (1 package)
60 gr butter, soft room temperature
100 gr powder sugar

Method
1. Beat the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy.
2. Add the eggs one by one and mix until the eggs are well incorporated.
3. Add the pumpkin puree and mix until well incorporated.
4. Add the cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, and pumpkin spice. Mix it with lowest speed until the mixture uniform.
5. Heat the oven 180Celcius
6. Pour the batter into two pans 26cm x 26 cm or slightly smaller.
7. Bake for around 15 minutes until the top of the cake springs back when touched. Do not forget to check regularly and swap the position of the pans when necessary.
8. Remove immediately from the oven and the pan, and let the cakes cool down on a wire rack. Some recipes will recommend rolling it first, but I found it still quite easy to roll the cake when it is cold even without pre-rolling it.
9. Filling: mixed all the filling ingredients until the mixture is smooth.
10. Move the cake to a clean baking paper sheet. Spread the filling on one side of the cake.
11. Start rolling the cake from one side. Wrap it with the baking paper sheet and another layer of cling wrap.


Store it in refrigerator until you want to serve it. I usually take it out of the refrigerator at least half an hour before I serve it. However, my boys are usually impatient and cannot wait. Many times they will just eat it directly.


No comments:

Post a Comment