Recipe Index

Monday, November 2, 2015

Green tea Mille-crepe with Azuki Bean

I have seen pictures of mille-crepe tart, or thousand layer pancakes tart pictures all over the internet since last year. I was curious how pancakes can be served as celebration cakes (birthday cake, etc.).


I usually baked something for our family celebration. During my husband last birthday, I used the occasion as an opportunity to challenge myself to make this mille-crepe tart with green tea flavour. I still had a bag of matcha (green tea powder) in my kitchen and was initially planning for green-tea roll cake. However, the mille-crepe tart was quite intricate to try. I saw pictures of these tart from friends posting and from certain cake shops in Asia. The pictures are beautiful.

What made me curious is: pancake as tart? I always thought that pancake, cold one, was not delicious. But, why did they make it as tart? I had to try and proof it myself.

After searching the internet for how the mille-crepe tart was made, I understand that it is basically a softer version of the breakfast pancake/crepe with a LOT of cream. I think, that is they key!

I finally settled with the following recipe. What I  like with this kind of tart is: no baking is needed. What I hate is: it is difficult to produce good crepe in the short time, I have to stand quite long to make the crepes.

The result: my children love it. However, my husband comment was: the tart is quite heavy, because of the layers of crepes and the cream. I used in this one, fresh cream (slagroom). It is delicious, but it is heavy.

Ingredients of the Crepe
75 gr butter (melted)
200 gr all-purpose flour
6 eggs
800 ml warm milk (I used pasteurized full milk - be careful not to use hot milk since it will cook the eggs)
20 gr matcha powder
100 gr sugar (or 80 gr sugar if you want less sweet crepe)
1 pinch of salt

Method (Crepe)
1. Mix the flour, eggs, green tea powder, sugar and the salt in a bowl.
2. Add the warm milk and butter to the mixture. Mix it well until everything well incorporated and the mixture is smooth.
3. Keep the mixture in the refrigerator for a few hours. I left it overnight, to divide my work load.
4. Prepare a non-stick frying pan (I used 28 cm diameter). Heat the pan and add a bit of butter. Melt the butter and spread the butter evenly.
5. Using a soup ladle pour 1 portion of the mixture to the pan and swirl the pan a few times to ensure that the mixture is spread evenly.
6. Cook until the upper side of the crepe is not wet anymore and the colour change to light brown.
7. Slowly flip the crepe. I used both the spatula and my hands, since I cannot flip it easily. Be careful not the tear the crepe.
8. Cook the other side for around half to 1 minute, depends on your stove.
9. Remove the crepe to plate for cooling.
10. repeat steps 5-9 until all mixture is finished. I produced around 16 crepes with this mixture.
11. Let all crepes cool before arranging the crepes.

Ingredients of the Cream
250 ml fresh whipped cream
2 tbsp matcha powder (I used sweetened matcha powder for the cream) + 1 tbsp water

Method (Cream)
1. Beat the fresh whipped cream until it becomes fluffy
2. Add the green tea (matcha) solution and beat again the cream until the solution is incorporated and the cream become fluffy whipped cream and the volume increased.

How to arrange: 
Additional ingredient: Ready to use Azuki bean paste (red bean paste)
1. Prepare a big plate covered by baking paper.
2. Put 1 crepe on the plate.
3. Spread a part of whipped cream and extra azuki bean sporadically.

The assembly process
4. Cover with 1 crepe.
5. Read steps 3 and 4 until the last crepe.
6. Cover the last crepe with the whipped cream.
7. Dust the upper whipped cream with green tea (matcha) powder as decoration.

The end result

After we eat one slice of it





No comments:

Post a Comment