Recipe Index

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Spare Ribs with Sweet Coriander Sauce

Our family love to have, once in a while, BBQ or grilled food. One of our favorites is spare ribs in sweet coriander sauce. Since I am quite lazy, I frequently make things using oven instead of the real deal: grilling over coals. It is easier for me to clean up, and I do not have to stand quite long outside the house. 

When I moved to Europe, I noticed that western style grill food mostly seasoned with only salt and pepper. The sauce they use for dips usually mayonnaise, mustard, BBQ sauce, garlic sauce, or similar. However, in Indonesia we usually have grilled food with variety of rich sauces. One of my favorites is sweet coriander sauce. It is typical Indonesian.

Here is the recipe I usually use.

Ingredients

1 kg Spare ribs

2 tbs oil (vegetable oil)
1 tbs finely chopped garlic
1 tbs coriander seeds (ground)
3 tbs (Indonesian) sweet soy sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper

(for dips and extra)
sweet soy sauce
2-3 shallot (chopped)
bird eye chili 
lime
tomatoes (cut)


How to make:


  1. Clean the ribs,
  2. In a bowl, mix the vegetable oil, chopped garlic, grounded coriander seeds, sweet soy sauce, salt and pepper,
  3. Marinate the ribs with the mixed sauce. Keep it in the refrigerator until you want to bake it,
  4. Warm the oven (I used fan forced) at 200ยบ Celcius,
  5. Bake the marinated spare ribs for 30 menit,
  6. Change the oven to grill mode, and  continue to bake for 15 minutes,
  7. Prepare the sauce: mix the sweet soy sauce, chili (if you like), cut tomatoes and chopped shallot. Sprinkle the sauce with lime juice to taste.
  8. Serve it with lontong (Indonesian rice cake) or white steamed rice.







No comments:

Post a Comment