Recipe Index

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Gudeg Nangka Using Electric Pressure Cooker

This is one of my Indonesian favorite dish. The origin is from Jogjakarta (Java). It is made from young jack fruit (Nangka) cooked with several spices, coconut water, and coconut milk. Gudeg is usually eaten together with steam rice, and other dishes such as opor ayam (chicken opor), sambal goreng krecek (which is stewed crisp beef skin), and tahu/tempe bacem. Whenever we are eating this Javanese cuisine, I will never forget to serve it with sambal/chilli and krupuk (a type of Indonesian cracker).

My children, at the time I am writing this post, love this Indonesian dish, except for the krecek (stewed crisp beef skin). May be the texture is quite strange for them, especially because they are used to western food.

I usually make a batch of Gudeg and the friends, enough for at least 3 times 3 person-serving. I intentionally do that because making a complete Nasi Gudeg is a labor by itself, at least for me. So, if I have to do a laborious work, it is better if I can keep at least one 3-person serving in the freezer for one of the day when I do not have time to cook dinner.

A few years ago, when I started to learn to make this dish, I made it using pots. However, since my husband bought me an electric pressure cooker, I could make the Gudeg Nangka faster - with some modification of the recipe, saving a few hours.

Ingredients:
1 kg jack fruit (not the ripe one), cut into smaller pieces - (I usually use 3 cans of young jack fruit. The drained weight is around 900 grams)
10 eggs (boiled and peeled the shell) - put aside
500 cc coconut water (The original recipe is calling for 1 liter. However, since I am cooking using pressure cooker, I will only need half of it)
8-10 salam leaves (similar to bay leaves, but please use Indonesian salam leaves, the flavor is different)
5-8 slices galangal (or it is around 0.5 cm) - I usually used around 3tsp galangal powder
200 gr palm sugar - shredded (I love to use Wayang brand here, because it is clean and easy to portion)
500 cc thick coconut milk (or coconut milk from 1 coconut) - (I usually use 3/4 of a 500ml can Kara + 1/4 can water and use the rest of the coconut milk for making sambal goreng krecek)

Spices, Ground
12 cloves shallot
12 cloves garlic
1 tsp coriander seed
3-4 tsp salt or to taste
8-10 candle nuts (I usually use the candle nuts paste in jar - about 4-5 tsp)

Method
1. Drained the canned young jack fruit and cut into small pieces.
2. Ground the garlic and cut the shallot.
3. Put all ingredients into the pressure cooker, make sure that it is still below the maximum level allowed.
4. Set the pressure cooker to "High Pressure" and the timer for 30 minutes.
5. In the mean time, boil the eggs. Let it cool and peel the shell. Set them aside.
6. After 30 minutes timer is off, turn off the pressure cooker and open it after you release the pressure according to the Pressure Cooker Manual/instruction book.
7. Move the Gudeg Nangka to a pot and add the boiled eggs.
8. Boil the Gudeg Nangka and the eggs again before serving.

The Gudeg Nangka is now ready to be served with warm steam rice accompanied by Sambel Goreng Krecek and Opor Ayam Tahu.

I seldom cook this, although my husband loves this food. To cook the complete dish I will need a lot of preparation and cooking time. Quite tiring if you are cooking after the children are in bed. That is why I only make this 2 or maximum 3 times a year.

My children find the gudeg nangka is delicious. However, they still find the Sambal Goreng Krecek has funny texture. May be, just may be, I have to cook the complete dish more than twice a year.

If you are having a vacation in Indonesia, do not forget to find the best warung gudeng there.Enjoy!

NB: in the photo above, I have just add the boiled eggs. That is why it is still white. It is best eaten after the eggs is covered by the gudeg nangka for a few hours to make sure the spices also infused the eggs.


No comments:

Post a Comment