Recipe Index

Friday, February 7, 2014

Tempe (and Tahu) Bacem

Tempe and tahu (tofu) are good soul food for me. They are delicious and also healthy. Tempe and tahu are made from fermented soy bean. They are popular food in Indonesia and can be cooked in many ways.

Tempe and tahu bacem are basically boiled in spices until they are dry (no more liquid but not burned) and then fried. We usually eat them together with Gudeg, another favorite Indonesian dish for me.

A couple of weeks ago, I made tempe bacem for the family in my effort to introduce more non-meat food to the children. It was a hit with the children. Both Patrick and Timothy could not stop eating them.

Today, I am making it again, but without the tahu because I only have two blocks of tempe. My husband has bought 1 litre of coconut water last week because he silently wanted me to make the dish again.

So, here is the recipe taken from Sajian Sedap website.

Ingredients:
250 gram tempe, cut 4x6 cm or to your liking, but do not cut it in cubes.
1 block of tofu, cut similar to tempe
3 daun salam (similar to bay leave, you can find mostly in Asian store)
2 cm galangal or lengkuas (I used 1-2 tsp powder)
500 ml coconut water (I used 300 ml coconut water and the rest I used water)
1 1/2 tbs palm sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
5 cloves shallot
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp coriander seed
oil for frying

Method:
  1. Boil everthing (except the oil) until it is dried.
  2. Fry the tempe and tahu in hot oil until both sides are brown. Put aside on the kitchen towel to wipe the excess oil.
  3. Serve with warm rice and sambal (chilli served in special way).

This dish is very delicious with Gudeg (a dish made from young jackfruit). I will post the recipe when I have time. I have not made gudeg for a long time now.

Cannot wait to see the children enjoying the tempe bacem tomorrow. You may ask, tomorrow? Why? Because I usually cook and do household chores at night after the children are sleeping because my husband and I are working parents.

But for now, enjoy the picture! I hope you like the dish and want to try to make the dish for your family.


No comments:

Post a Comment